Weight

Weight
Welcome To The Strength Academy Blog!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Viking Warrior 15:15 Vo2 max kettlebell snatch test complete



There are a lot of workouts floating around the internet and apart from my own specific goals, a few of them have been on my list for some time.

One of them was the viking warrior challenge. Aptly named, and a very good warm up :)


The format is that you have a timer set to 15/15 - 15 seconds of work and 15 seconds of rest. For each minute you will snatch left for 15 seconds, rest for 15 seconds, snatch right for 15 seconds and rest for 15 seconds. This repeats for 40 minutes as the required total is 80 rounds.

Doing some math I realised that if I remove half of the workout - the rest periods - I chop 50% of off the time for the test and also get a better Vo2 max workout as few tests of this nature allow rest and gradually get harder over time such as the treadmill version with a speed increase every 30 or 60 seconds.

I actually prefer my format as it is certainly around 3 times harder than the original, gets it done in half the time and gave me a much more intense workout from which to benefit. 

For mortals - go and see what you are made of! Grab your phone, set your timer and off you go. You should notice weekly improvements on this based on conditioning and lung capacity and it will certainly get you fit!

For some professional grade competition kettlebells and to try the test yourself click on the image below -



Update - I realise my efforts were more GS steady state than maximum effort after some advice from a few coaches. An updated attempt will be listed as soon as I can fit it in with competition schedules, charity events and GS training.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment